Are you trying to stay warm this winter? If so, you need a Stormy Kromer cap. They have been made in the USA since 1903. Bob Jacquart bought the company in 2001 and moved it from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Ironwood, Michigan. Today they offer new colors, new fabrics and new styles, all which have helped sales increase 20 times what they were in 2001. They are still hand stitched and sized to fit your head. The company has expanded the product line to include outerwear and apparel. I think the waxed cotton cap would make a nice addition to my winter gear. The women’s line of caps are very fashionable as well.
Stormy Kromer Mercantile is a part of Jacquart Fabric Products. The company offers textile solutions from small to large production runs. Other parts of the company include Paus pet beds and Stone Legacy cases. The company occupies 80,000 square feet in multiple buildings which is located in Ironwood, Michigan.
The factory offers free tours Monday-Friday at 1:30. The factory store is also open Monday thru Saturday. It is located at 1238 Wall Street, Ironwood, MI 49938.
We started making our own laundry detergent a few years back to cut cost. Recently we started using Tide again when they had a sale at the grocery store. The Tide was not removing all of the stains in our clothes. So we tried the homemade laundry detergent again and guess what, no stains. To make your own you will need 20 Mule Team Borax, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and Zote. If you can not find Zote you can use Fels-Naptha. Fels-Naptha works great, but it does leave your clothes dingy over time. Kroger, Meijer and Wal-Mart, in central Ohio carry everything, but the Zote. We eventually found the Zote at a local Kmart. Zote is also available from Lehman’s Hardware online.
Recently we found a new recipe that added Oxyclean to the recipe. This adds a powdered form of Hydrogen Peroxide to the mix. It adds more stain fighting power and helps to brighten your clothes. We found a generic of this at a local Dollar Tree for $1 for, 16 ounces. Just make sure it is chlorine free. The complete recipe is listed below.
- 1 cup of 20 Mule team Borax
- 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1 cup of shredded Zote or Fels-Naptha
- 1/4 cup of Oxyclean (optional)
Use a greater or food processor to shred your bar of soap. Then combine with the remaining ingredients and mix together. If you have a food processor, run the complete mixture through it for an even finer powder. Use one tablespoon per load.
Are you in the market for a new coat? You could by Columbia or North Face, but what about American made? Wintergreen Northern Wear manufacturers and sells some of the highest quality outdoor clothing on the market. The company is located in the small town of Ely, Minnesota. They are the largest private employer in the town where jobs are limited. Their clothing is made to last with quality materials and made by American workers. The company would like to supply the the Olympic uniforms for Team USA in the 2014 winter games.
The company has stores located in Ely and Wayzata, Minnesota. They also sell their clothing line in the Duluth Pack (another American made company) store in Duluth, Minnesota. You can also order online from their website.
We have decided on a new shopping tradition this holiday season, Made in America Monday! Why fight the crowds on Black Friday? Just wait until Monday, November 26, 2012 and visit your favorite retailer (or online) and buy American made products. This will help to boost the economy and reduce unemployment.
Pyrex glassware is made in Charleroi, Pennsylvania. These new, glass measuring cups are available in three sizes. The new design features a “read-from-above” design. No kitchen should be without these made in the USA measuring cups this holiday season. They are available at most major retailers.
Green Toys are 100% recycled plastic toys made in the USA. So if you are in search for non-toxic, American made toys for Christmas, be sure to check out Green Toys.
- 6 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme, bundled with kitchen twine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette, cut into 2-inch slices and toasted
- 8 slices Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions with butter on medium-high heat until well browned, about 50 minutes (or longer) stirring occasionally. Add sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the caramelization.
- When onions are caramelized, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute; add flour and stir for one minute. Stir in wine, scrapping up any browned bits, cook for 2 minutes. Add stock and thyme. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove thyme and discard.
- Ladle soup into individual, oven-proof bowls. Cover with toast and top toast with cheeses. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.
Recipe from The Fresh Market.
Nordic Ware is located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Naturals muffin and half sheet pan are made from aluminum with a galvanized steel reinforced rim. These pans are professional quality and will last a lifetime. The cake pop pan is one of Nordic Ware’s newest products and the only such pan that is made in the USA. Happy baking this holiday season.
Are you looking for USA made products this holiday season? This is the first in a series of holiday buying guides for just American made gifts. These are our top picks for the Anchor Hocking Company. Visit our Facebook page for exciting holiday recipes.